If You’re in Pain, Maybe You Need a New Mattress: Las Vegas Chiropractor
If you wake up stiff and sore in the morning, you might need a new mattress. Proper bedding helps maintain your posture even during sleep, preventing such maladies as pinched nerves, insomnia, and stiff neck.
In 2002, Bert Jacobson conducted a study on a sample of 22 patients with documented disturbed sleep, shoulder pain, low back pain, and spine stiffness. Jacobson is from Oklahoma State University’s School of Applied Health and Educational Psychology, Health and Human Performance. His study concluded that a prescribed bedding system reduced back pain by 57 percent.
The trick is choosing an appropriate mattress. Here are a few tips:
- Spend at least 15 minutes lying on the mattress in the store. Yes, you’ll probably feel silly. But it’s worth it in the long run.
- Your mattress should both support your body and conform to its weight and shape. Support allows for the natural curves and alignment of your spine, so no part of your body is lower or higher than the rest. At the same time, for conformity, the mattress should mold to the contours of your body and reduce pressure points. No part of your body – especially the lower back – should be placed in an unsupported, stressed position.
- If you have arthritis or fibromyalgia, consider a higher-end mattress that disperses your weight across the greatest body surface.
- If you sleep on your stomach, you’ll need a firmer mattress to support your stomach, pelvis and thoracolumbar spine (the thoracic and lumbar parts of the spinal column).
- If you sleep on your side, you may want a plush mattress. Plush bedding cradles the body and helps disperse your weight across the maximum surface area, so you don’t create pressure points at the hips and shoulders.[space height=”20″]
Lower back pain: Based on a study conducted in Spain in 2003, a medium-firm mattress provides more relief for lower back pain than a firm mattress does.
Neck or upper back pain: Consider a pillow-top mattress, or one with padding and quilting. Your head and thorax will sink into the bed to support the cervical area.
Weight: Heavier individuals also may feel more comfortable with a pillow top because of the extra cushioning between you and the coils. A pillow top could be the wrong choice if you don’t weigh much, however.
If you’ve purchased the right mattress but still wake up with back or neck pain, consider chiropractic care. If you’re a Las Vegas resident, pay a visit to Advanced Spine and Posture. Our doctors are experts in Chiropractic BioPhysics (CBP), which is focused on realigning the shape of your spine and restoring normal nerve flow. Chiropractic BioPhysics is the most researched, scientific and results-oriented corrective chiropractic technique.
You can rely on Advanced Spine and Posture, one of only a handful of health centers in the United States specializing in all aspects of your health, from medical and preventative care to Chiropractic BioPhysics.
Contact us in Las Vegas for a consultation to see if you qualify for CBP care.